Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Module 2 Emerging Technologies Tetrad


I do not have an IPad, however two of my kids have them and sometimes I wonder what they did before they got these amazing technologies.  My son is a boat salesman and can practically keep the entire store inventory right at his fingertips - with beautiful graphics making the actual image of the boat more dynamic than the real thing.  My daughter is a flight attendant and uses her ipad to watch netflix movies and read books when she is stuck at the airport or at a hotel.  My administrators pop them out on the table and check email as they simultaneously take notes and complete research during our professional developments - I definitely believe these little gems enhance our lives in many ways.
Several colleagues say that their college age kids use the ipad to replace their college textbooks as they purchase the ebooks and keep the ipads with them for studying and reading class requirements.  They purchased keypads and stuff the materials in their bookbags and use them in class instead of the netbooks.
I think the ipad has some of the same capabilities as the ipod. 
The ipad can bring about a whole new type of classroom that is engaging, multitasking, and applicable to the 21st century.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Karen,
    Your post is very good. I really do like having the ipads in classrooms because students have access to research and books online. This is such an excellent way fro students learn academic skills and engage in collaborative skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petti,

    Does your school offer them to kids or do the students bring their own. I really cannot see replacing the laptop with the Ipad - what do you think? Many claim that this is going to happen, but there are so many wordprocessing type activities that I think will not be replaced - especially the awesome Apple Air Books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen I sat in meetings all day Thursday and Friday where majority of us had iPads or laptops to take notes on for the meetings. It was much easier for those with iPads to pack up and leave at the end of the day. I'm not sure if the iPads will replace laptops or if laptops will start to make more changes to compete with the size and ability to carry around easily.
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kellie,
      That is probably what will happen - I just saw a commercial where a new device claims to be better and cheaper then the Ipad - and it has a USB drive. The price of the Ipad is just too high for me right now, so I assume that will go down eventually as new devices come along with this type of competition. I purchased two of them last year for my kids and am aware of all that they offer as my kids (in their new jobs) use them often, however, I would not be able to complete my online degree with an Ipad - I am using too many software programs that are just not quite there yet. My daughter who is still in college wanted to stick with the Apple air book.

      Delete
    2. Hi Karen,
      iPads are still relatively new, being only three years old. The lower end tasks can be handled by tablets while higher end tasks still make use of laptops and desktops (Waters, 2010). Seeing some of the new processors in the works, the capabilities of tablets are going to increase. I used to say that tablet devices are a waste of money because I cannot edit pictures via Adobe Photoshop and videos via Adobe Premiere. With cloud computing, now I can. I can log onto my computer through the Internet on my tablet and make use of the entire Adobe series, much the same way people can now use cloud technology to play high end games without purchasing a client-side high end gaming machine.
      References
      Waters, J. K. (2010). Enter the iPad (or not?). THE Journal, 37(6), 38-45. Retrieved from http://thejournal.com/articles/2010/06/01/enter-the-ipad-or-not.aspx

      Delete