Saturday, October 12, 2013

Module 3 - Rhymes of History



 Dr. Thornburg (2008) described a rhyme in history as an affect or effort of a new development that rekindles something from the past.  One technology that represents a rhyme of history is the smartphone camera or digital camera.  These new cameras rekindle the  old Polaroid instant cameras that gave us an instant photo with no wait for processing. Below are three sites that address this rhyme of history.  I will be revealing my age if I claim to have used one and been very impressed with it when I was a teenager.  I used it for several school projects. 

 http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articles/pages/1020/Photography-and-Society-in-the-20th-Century.html

 http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkotter/2012/05/02/barriers-to-change-the-real-reason-behind-the-kodak-downfall/

 http://qz.com/35783/lessons-for-apple-instagram-and-others-from-polaroids-past-and-present/

References
 
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Evolutionary technologies, featuring Dr. David Thornburg.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Six forces that drive emerging technology, featuring Dr. David Thornburg.

Link to Kevin Kelly's speech
http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_kelly_on_the_next_5_000_days_of_the_web.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    My wife used to haul her film camera made by Minolta, which is a single-lens reflex (SLR). We invested a great deal into her lenses, film, and flashes. The industry for picture taking shifted to use digital single-lens reflex (DSLR). For this, we invested into Canon because their lenses and camera features were top-notch. On the other hand, my friends use Nikon. Now, my wife and group of friends rarely carry around the DSLR cameras because their cellphones have a camera that is comparable. The DSLR cameras only get used for professional shoots. For everything else, the cellphone cameras work well. Speaking of high-end cameras on a phone, have you seen Nokia Lumia 1020? It sports a 41-megapixel camera.

    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/nokia-lumia-1020-with-41-megapixel-camera-windows-phone-8-officially-unveiled-390985

    Sanjay Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    This is an excellent post about cameras. I can remember the polaroid very clearly, it was my first camera. I was so excited to get this for a Christmas present. I will not tell you how long ago that was. However, Smartphones are an excellent replacement. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also used Polaroid cameras when I was in high school and I loved seeing my instant photo. It's my personal opinion that the love for instant results was the spark for creating digital media. However, I do miss the sound of a picture coming out of a camera and the excitement I felt of seeing it develop in front of my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete